The roll down is a great little exercise to warm up the spine as well as relief tension build up in the muscles supporting the spine.
Set yourself up as shown below
- Stand tall with your head, neck, shoulders, hips, knees and ankles aligned
- Start by nodding your chin to your chest to stretch the cervical spine
- Then gradually roll down the spine until your fingers touch the floor
- Your neck should be relaxed
- Your abdominals should be activated
- Arms should be outstretch down along your sides
- Imagine someone pulling your arms down and your head feeling heavy like lead
- Slowly roll up the same way
- Repeat this movement a few times( 4-8 times)
- After a few repetitions your spine should feel limbered; if not do a few more or move on to the cat stretch (see other blogs)
This exercise is great as a warm up or just as a stretch for the spine.
It can also be done standing against a wall.