The spine twist is a mobilization exercise for the lumbar vertebrae as well as a stretch for the shoulders and chest.
Set yourself up as shown below
- Arms are outstretched to the side
- Knees are hugged in towards the chest
- Abdominals are activated
- Shoulder blades are wide and activated
- Take your knees over to your right side
- Once you are in the position shift your top knee forwards to align the knees one on top of the other; then shift it back
- Alternate between shifting the top knee forward and back.
- You should be able to feel how the stretch in your back increases
- Your left shoulder and chest should also feel an extra stretch as the knees continuously shift back and forth
- Repeat the stretch on the left side
- Repeat the shifts several times on each side